Saturday, January 8, 2011

Mirror, mirror AAAAAUUUGH !!!!!!!

It's no secret that after the age of about 45 you need reading glasses.  If you re a super visual person like me with a desk job, maybe earlier.  Like an idiot, I bought my first pair from the optometrist, until I discovered the drugstore ones.  Even better when I discovered the dollar store glasses.  Now I have reading glasses all over the house (I am counting five plus the pair I have on now next to the computer) , and in my car, and in my purse.  And then you also need a magnifying mirror to help with the makeup, right?

I had this little stand mirror with about a 3x magnification that I used for makeup, and a little portable one with a suction cup on the back for travel (how many times have I left this thing on hotel bathroom mirrors?).

So when I saw a fancy brushed steel light up double stand mirror at Costco for only $20, having seen one just like it in the Brookstone catalog fir $149, I jumped at the chance. Finally, a good mirror so my eyeliner would go on straight the first time.

Then I plugged the thing in and looked into it.  At first, everything was just a big blur until I realized I had to get real close for everything to be visible.  

And boy, was it ever!!!!!!   Every broken vein, enlarged pore, bump, lump, and straggly eyebrow hair was standing out in sharp focus.  ACK!    And as if that wasn't bad enough, there under my chin were HAIRS.  LONG ONES!  SOME WERE WHITE!   WHISKERS!     AAAAUUUUUUGH!   How long they had been there, I don't know because I never saw them before.  Oh, I had seen an occasional stray hair that I plucked as soon as I felt it, but never in this much profusion.

Here's the irony if growing older:   You get hair where you never had it before, and where you once had hair, it thins out . Like under my arms and on my legs., etc.  I find myself shaving there much less often than I used to.  Thank GOD I have seen no hairs in my ears and nose!!!!!  (but this might be a guy thing -- I don't know).

Anyhow, once I got over my initial shock, I plucked like mad and check every single day for new miscreants.

And I must say I don't think my eyebrows have ever looked better.

No comments:

Post a Comment