Sunday, June 12, 2011

Reminders of my Age.

Most of the time, I forget how old I am -- then something happens and I am reminded.   Like when I looked at the new yoga DVD I bought, and said, well, this looks pretty easy.  Then I tried it and found out I have to do the "modified" version of some of the poses  (NO WAY can I balance on one leg with one foot peacefully on my calf) and some of the poses I cannot seem to do at all.  At zumba, the half hour workout has me sweating buckets.

And then I also remember that, for the first time in my life, the President of the United States is younger than me!!!

Plus it always weirds me out when the stuff in the antique stores is not just stuff I had as a kid, but stuff I got for wedding presents the first time I got married!  It's now "vintage" and "retro". (Like me, I guess).

And I spend WAY longer fooling around with my makeup and my hair, and still don't ever get it quite right.  Plus I have a little thinning spot on top  -- YIKE!!!!!  And I have already commented on the appearance and disappearance of hair from where it is supposed to be (!!)

And keeping up with the lightening-swift blaze of technology is pretty close to impossible for me.  I have had my phone for a year now and I still don't know how to get a picture from the phone to the computer. I struggled for hours when I got my ipod to finally get the CDs loaded.

And speaking of CDs -- I have no idea who most of these music groups are anymore, nor most of the film stars.  They all look impossibly young to me.   Sometimes when I am driving down the street, I look over and I cannot believe that the person behind the wheel of the vehicle next to me is old enough to be driving.

Then there is the energy factor.  Yesterday we had a party -- a Mexican Train Dominoes Tournament and fiesta for which I have been preparing for over a week.  It was really, really fun -- more on the party itself later, -- but today I am totally wiped out.  Even have a sore throat, stuffy nose  and achy muscles.  Just wanted to nap today, but had all this clean up to do.

In other words, I can do the things I used to do, mostly, but it just takes me longer to recover now, and some of the things are just not quite as effective as they used to be (make up, working out).  And some things, I just have to admit I will never figure out (technology, most video games, the music these days).

                                                    Vintage Cindy in Vintage Corvette

No comments:

Post a Comment