Sunday, July 24, 2011

Walking

It's a pretty simple thing, walking.  You dress for the weather and make sure you have sturdy shoes, and find a scenic route, and off you go.

Walking has changed my life.  Signing up for the Susan G Komen Three Day has energized and motivated me.  I still don't know if I can ACTUALLY walk 20 miles a day for three days in a row, but I am eager to try.

And in the meantime, I have discovered a whole world of nature, perseverance, friendship, and camaraderie along the way as I train.  I have discovered new places (the River Trail in south Napa, the Skyline Ridge Trail, the short River Trail between Lincoln and Trancas, the new little park at the end of Soscol and Silverado Trail), strengthened friendships (Judy, Mary, my aunt Carol and my Curves workout buddies), music (I listen to my ipod when I walk alone) and inner resolve as I try new things -- 11 miles in Sacramento with Mary!!! Walking from the house to Redwood Road all by myself !!!   Walking to Yountville with Mary!!!!   Hiking the Skyline Ridge Trail with Judy!!!! Exploring the back roads of St Helena with Carol!!!!  Short walks around the Avenues with my husband!!!

And Saturday -- a really fun walk with my workout buddies from Curves.


Bless Brita for putting this together!  We all got together on a cool and foggy early Saturday morning.  From left to right there was Marion (with Odie, the wheaten terrier), Brita, Cindy, Clarice, Sylvia, Faith, Diane (behind Faith), Jill, Jean and Amy.

The trail along the salt marshes and edge of San Pablo Bay is really a wonderful adventure.  Along the way there was much to see.


Herons and egrets in the marshes, and the changing color and texture of the plants and water.  A view far across the water in the mist was breathtaking even on this cool and misty morning.


Everyone teased "City Girl" Faith over her apprehension about loose dogs, fear of cats, and wild things in general.  By the end of the walk, she had been dubbed "Nature Girl", a title that will probably stick!!!


We all walked at our own pace, and here are Jill and Jean, followed by Clarice, with Faith, Amy and Brita in the background.


These Century Plants along the trail were just one of the sights to see. The trail was paved, comfortable, and wide enough for all of us as well as bicycles.

Marian, Odie, and Brita followed by Faith and Amy, stroll up the trail edged by driftwood .

And what a great group!!!  Diane, Marian and Odie, Clarice, Jean and Jill look refreshed and ready to take on the world!!!


And at the end, we all had to have proof that we had actually finished!!! Cindy, Brita, Sylvia and Amy .

Since we started early (8:00 am), I began my day refreshed, energized, invigorated, and clearheaded.  It's so much fun and so good for me that when I do not walk (or do something else physical like yoga, zumba, or the Curves circuit), I feel stiff and foggy all day.  So even if all I can manage in a day is a little walk of 3 miles or less, I have come to miss it when I cannot do it.

And as a result, my body thanks me, my mind thanks me, my heart thanks me, and I am filled with gratitude and peace.   Many thanks to Sylvia for sharing the photos  so everyone can see them!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment